Alice Springs Future Grid is trialing the Northern Territory’s first residential Virtual Power Plant (VPP). The trial will look at how a VPP can help keep the grid stable while increasing the amount of clean energy in the Alice Springs power system.
Sign ups for the Future Grid Solar Connect VPP trial are now open.
What is a Virtual Power Plant?
A Virtual Power Plant (VPP) is typically a collection of solar and battery storage systems that are treated like a single source of energy.
VPPs use smart technology to control the energy flow to and from the grid on demand – benefitting the household, grid and the community.
Why Virtual Power Plants?
Solar power has become very popular in our town. However, on bright sunny days, when solar panels are generating lots of energy, it can create challenges in balancing supply and demand in our grid.
Alice Springs Future Grid is exploring ways to store and distribute the power of the sun, including through our VPP trial.
Use this link to download an Alice Springs Future Grid VPP info sheet.
The Solar Connect trial
Solar Connect is a town-wide VPP solar and battery trial linking households via a Virtual Power Plant. Households in the VPP will share solar and battery power in ways that benefit the Alice Springs grid and form the next generation of more sustainable energy solutions.
Solar Connect is inviting households who have either rooftop solar, or solar with a battery system to sign up.
To be eligible you will need to:
- Be a Jacana Energy customer
- Be an owner-occupier of the home you wish to register in the trial
- Have a continuous internet connection
- Own an eligible* solar and/or battery storage system (or install one within a nominated timeframe)
*LG Chem, BYD, Redback and other brands can be enrolled in the trial. However, it is important to check that your inverter brand is compatible, this may be a different brand to your battery.
1. Completing our sign up form will allow us to assess your system’s eligibility but does not guarantee your participation. Vouchers will be provided to trial participants once deemed eligible and upon the successful enrolment into the Alice Springs Future Grid VPP trial.
2. Places in the trial are limited.